Training should include general principles of ergonomics, recognition of hazards and injuries, procedures for reporting hazardous conditions, and methods and procedures for early reporting of injuries.
Safe lifting training should also include:
- Health risks related to improper lifting.
- The basic anatomy of the spine, the muscles, and the joints of the trunk, and the contributions of intra-abdominal pressure while lifting.
- Awareness of individual body strengths and weaknesses - determining one’s own lifting capacity.
- Recognition of physical factors that might contribute to an accident and how to avoid the unexpected.
- Knowledge of body responses - warning signals - to be aware of when lifting.