Manual Handling of Materials Review
- Obtain help (human or mechanical) and/or split heavy loads if possible.
- Use wide stance and bend your knees (but not deeply). Keep load close.
- Keep back straight and as vertical as you can. Lift slowly with leg power.
- Avoid bending over with knees straight and lifting with upper torso.
- Also avoid twisting, jerky movement, and reaching out with load.
- Maintain good posture when standing, walking, sitting, or driving.
- Take breaks/change position often when standing, sitting, or driving.
- Lean on something and/or prop up a foot when standing.
- Consider back exercises to improve strength and flexibility.