Skip to content
MSHA Individual
Identification Number (MIIN)

Single Source Page

Who does this apply to?
  • Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) personnel, mine operators, independent contractors, miners, state grantees, MSHA qualified and certified persons and approved instructors.

  • In addition to persons holding an MSHA certification to collect respirable dust samples and/or certification to maintenance and calibrate respirable dust sampling units, a MIIN is only required for persons applying for or modifying one of the following qualifications, certifications, or approvals:

      - Electrical Qualification Training, Low/Medium Voltage (Underground)
      - Electrical Qualification Retraining, Low/Medium Voltage (Underground)
      - Methane/Oxygen Qualification (Underground/Surface)
      - Hoisting Qualification (Underground/Surface)
      - Explosives/Blasting Qualification
      - Impoundment Qualification
      - MSHA Approved Instructors (Part 48 and Part 49, Electrical)
      - Underground Foreman
      - Underground Assistant Foreman
      - Preshift Examiner
      - Surface Foreman
What is a MIIN?
  • A MIIN is an MSHA Individual Identification Number

  • MIIN's will be substituted for the social security number, eliminating the need for miners to provide the SSN on documents submitted to MSHA

  • Use of the MIIN will help protect against identity theft
How do I get a MIIN?
  • Go online at then click on Forms/Online Filing, and then on MSHA Individual Identification Number Request (5000-46) .

  • Call the toll-free phone number 1 800-579-2647

  • Fill out MSHA Form 5000-46, "Request for MSHA Individual Identification Number (MIIN)" and Send by secure FAX to (303) 231-5474 or
    Mail to: Mine Safety and Health Administration
    Qualification and Certification Unit
    P.O. Box 25367, DFC
    Denver, CO 80225
Useful Resources

Some or all of the files available on this page are PDF. For more information on PDF, PDF readers and accessibility issues, please use this link.