|MSHA Job Safety Tips|
Four serious accidents have occurred injuring five miners while riding in slope cars or gunboats in the last 10 years or while performing repairs. One fatality also resulted.
The accidents resulted from the following causes:
- Failure of the drive connection.
- Failure to stay within the confines of the hoist conveyance.
- Riding the bale or spreader
- Failure to maintain effective communication while performing maintenance.
- Conduct thorough inspections of hoisting equipment.
- Before hoisting miners, operate the hoist one full cycle while checking the operation of all safety devices.
- Confirm proper operation of the communication system(s) in use.
- During routine man trips, remain within the confines of the hoist conveyance.
- While conducting required examinations from the hoist conveyance, be cautious of the moving drawbar in areas of changing pitch. Have the hoist operated at inspection speed, be alert for areas of tight clearance, and never ride the spreader/drawbar.
- Maintain communication anytime the conveyance must be stopped for examination purposes.
Mine Safety and Health Administration