Safety Defects; Examination, Correction and Records
30 CFR 77.1606(a)
MSHA policy can be found here: 56.14100
Mobile loading and haulage equipment shall be inspected by a
competent person before such equipment is placed in operation. Equipment defects affecting safety shall be
recorded and reported to the mine operator.
MSHA policy can be found here: 77.1606
These standards apply to the reporting and recording of safety defects on self-propelled mobile equipment (metal and nonmetal and coal) and haulage equipment (coal).
Issues to Consider in Determining Compliance:
• Did the defect affect safety?
» Was the safety defect on self-propelled mobile equipment (metal and nonmetal and coal)?
» Was the safety defect on haulage equipment (coal)?
• Was the defect reported to the mine operator?
• Was the defect corrected immediately?
• If not corrected immediately, was the defect recorded?
» Does the record describe the defect?
» Was a record maintained until the defect was corrected?
» Was the record maintained at the mine or mine office?
Other issues covered by related standards:
• Was the equipment inspected before it was placed into service?