MSHA's Safety Targets Program
Safe Operation and Maintenance of Continuous Miners
- Periodically, all equipment operators should be re-alerted to the inherent hazards of the machine operation.
- Many new RCCM operators have been hired since 2004.
- Many RCCM operators were working in other job classifications in 2004 and may not be aware of this information package.
Please read this information, learn about accidents involving RCCMs and about measures you can take to prevent yourself from being involved in a similar accident. The life you save may be your own.
Please share this information with your co-workers and discuss it at safety meetings. If you have questions or need additional copies of this information, please contact Michael Getto by phone
at 304 547 2303 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please note, due to the extensive nature of the content found on the CD's and/or DVD's we are providing you with a sample of what may be found. If you are interested in the entire content, please see the contact information above.
- Video Clip - Right Choice: Continuous Miner training Video
- Video Clip - Stay Out of the Danger Zone: Avoiding Pinchpoints Around Continuous Mining Machines
- Safe Operation & Maintenance of Continuous Miners : Proximity Protection/Remote Miners Single Source Page
- Red Zones are No Zones Poster
- Fatalgrams - "Red Zone"
- Fatalgrams - "Roof/Rib Fall"
- Fatalgrams - "Maintenance"
- Fatalgrams - "Other"
- Close Calls and Near Misses
- Miner's Tips & Safety Ideas
- Best Practices
- Program Information Bulletins
- Program Policy Letters
- Procedure Instruction Letters
- Equipment Safety and Health Concerns
- Proximity Protection Systems - Safety Inside the Red Zone
Some or all of the files available on this page are PDF. For more information on PDF, PDF readers and accessibility issues, please use this link.