| MSHA's Accident Prevention Program
|Mine Type: All Surface Mines (Except Coal) and Mills and Plants|
When it comes to safety, there really is no such thing as "routine maintenance." Every job you do has the potential to result in serious injury or death if something goes wrong.
Some life saving tips to remember are:
- Do your job hazard analysis to identify all potential hazards associated with the work to be performed, and jointly discuss procedures to minimize those hazards.
- Make sure everyone is positioned so they are not exposed to the hazards.
- Support or block all components against motion, and lock out and tag out equipment.
- Ask yourself "what if?" Try to anticipate every possibility, and have a plan to deal with it.
- Make sure proper equipment is used and everyone is trained in its use.
If you have a tip you would like to pass on, you can e-mail it to zzMSHA-MinersTips@dol.gov. If your tip is selected, you will receive credit in this space.