Best Practices - Developed by the Surface Haulage Safety Task Force|
in Cooperation with MSHA
HAULAGE EQUIPMENT OPERATORS
If you can answer "yes" to the following questions, chances are you will leave work today without having an accident.
- Approach the machine safely?
- Maintain three points of contact (2 hands and 1 foot or 2 feet and 1 hand) while mounting or dismounting?
- Use a drop rope to raise or lower personal items or supplies?
- Perform a preoperational check of the machine?
- Report unsafe conditions?
- Faithfully wear your seat belt?
- Sound your horn or other warning device before starting or moving the machine?
- Visually check the machine for people or equipment prior to moving?
- Follow traffic control signs?
- Use personal protective safety equipment?
- Properly park the machine a safe distance from other machines?
- Clean the cab and windows?
- Have a portable light after dark?
- Operate the machine at a safe speed?
- Fill out an equipment operator shift report?
U.S. Department of Labor
Mine Safety and Health Administration