MSHA's Safety Targets Program
Block Against Motion
This package includes information addressing the safety hazards associated with failure to properly block equipment, mobile machinery, and supplies against unexpected motion. MSHA is providing this information to increase hazard awareness and to improve miners' ability to recognize risks related to failure to properly block against motion. This information is useful to surface and underground workers at both Coal and Metal/Nonmetal mines because:
- Many new miners have been hired in recent years;
- Many experienced miners are performing tasks other than their regular tasks and may be unaware of the hazards involved with failure to properly block against motion; and
- All miners should periodically be reminded of the dangers of failing to properly block against motion.
Please share this information with your co-workers and discuss it at safety meetings. If you have questions or need additional copies of this information, please contact Michael Getto by phone
at 304 547 2303 or by email at email@example.com.
- Please note, due to the extensive nature of the content found on the CD's and/or DVD's we are providing you with a sample of what may be found. If you are interested in the entire content, please see the contact information above.
- Do's and Don'ts
- CD PowerPoint Presentation (Includes the following material)
1) Videos and Other Training Information
2) MSHA Laws, Regulations, and Policies
- Fatalgrams - Surface Coal Mining
- Fatalgrams - Underground Coal Mining
- Fatalgrams - Surface Metal / Nonmetal Mining
- Fatalgrams - Underground Metal / Nonmetal Mining
- Close Calls and Near Misses
- MSHA Job Safety Tips
- Miner Tips
- Best Practices
Some or all of the files available on this page are PDF. For more information on PDF, PDF readers and accessibility issues, please use this link.