NIOSH Coal Workers’ Health Surveillance Program Approved Facilities
- In accordance with MSHA's coal respirable dust rule, 30 C.F.R Part 72, Subpart B, surface and underground mine operators, including contractors, are required to offer chest X-rays at no cost to miners.
- This database does not yet provide NIOSH approved spirometry facilities. However, those facilities will be added once they are approved by NIOSH.
- Facilities providing chest X-rays must be approved by NIOSH before they are used to take chest X-rays for the Coal Workers' Health Surveillance Program (CWHSP).
- Facilities seeking approval must comply with the regulations from 42 CFR, Part 37 (Specifications for Medical Examinations of Underground Coal Miners).
- Facilities interested in becoming NIOSH-approved should contact the CWHSP (CWHSP@cdc.gov or call 304-285-5724) for an approval packet which details the requirements.
- The following searchable database shows the current NIOSH approved X-ray facilities.