Educational Field and Small Mine Services (EFSMS) provides assistance in the development and improvement of the health and safety programs of mine operators and contractors in the mining community. The EFSMS specializes in training programs tailored to reduce the number of injuries and illnesses in the mining industry. Additionally, EFSMS evaluates industry instructors to ensure miners receive quality and effective training.
EFSMS staff are located in 31 states and travel to mines and training centers to provide assistance that will strengthen and modernize training.
Services We Provide
- Providing regulatory compliance assistance
- Conducting training program analysis
- Approving Part 46 training plans to include field reviews for compliance and training plan development
- Review and development of Part 48,75, and 77 training plans
- Conducting onsite reviews of training activities with a focus on assisting small mines to ensure miners receive quality and effective training
- Providing concentrated assistance to mines with greater need
- Providing training to miners, managers, and other stakeholders
- Evaluating and assisting industry instructors to develop and improve their skills, and review instructor requests for approval
- Participating in accident investigations and providing expertise on safety and training issues surrounding the accident to determine root causes, and conduct a thorough review of the training plan and training records
- Forming partnerships with associations and other entities to increase focus on safety and health issues in the industry
- Assisting with the development and growth of the Joseph A. Holmes Safety Association
- Providing information at public forums such as health and safety conferences and outreach special initiative programs
- Mobile Safety Training Units: Methane coal dust explosion training and electrical training